to the top of the page
March 1, 2023
The Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra is currently undergoing a search for a Concertmaster.
Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra
Dr. Beverly Everett, Music Director and Conductor
Mike Gardner, Executive Director
Deadline for applying: March 20, 2023
1. Concertmaster shall perform in all rehearsals and concerts as scheduled for the 2023-2024 season.
2. Offer assistance to the conductor in artistic matters such as bowings, auditioning and seating of players, leading sectionals, and private coaching of repertoire for string section members.
3. Perform at least one solo recital/chamber music program as requested.
4. Shall be available to represent the Symphony throughout the community as musical ambassador by performing for various service clubs, schools, volunteer organizations, health care facilities, and symphony fund raising events as scheduled.
5. The concertmaster will be free to pursue other performing and teaching opportunities outside of those assigned with the orchestra so long as they do not conflict with any Symphony services.
Compensation: negotiable, part-time.
Individuals wishing to apply for the position must possess the following credentials:
1. A masters (or higher) degree in music from an accredited university or conservatory.
2. A high level of musical ability as violinist; experience as an orchestral musician; and leadership experience as a performing musician.
3. Personal leadership qualities which embody maturity, self-esteem, cooperation, respect for colleagues, inspiration--by word and example--to other orchestra members to do their best.
4. The desire to excel musically and to bring music to the community.
Applicants should send:
A letter of intent.
A brief essay (one page maximum) on your philosophy on the role of a concertmaster, as a performer, within the orchestra, and within the community. Please incorporate your teaching / mentoring philosophy.
Between two and four letters of recommendation from musicians who are familiar with your musical qualifications and your ability to perform as concertmaster of a community/regional orchestra. Ideally these would include one from a musician who has performed in your section, and one from a conductor you have worked with. These can be sent with your other materials, or directly from the person writing the recommendation.
Video sample of your work, YouTube or similar is fine.
Submit to email@example.com
Finalists will be invited to do an in person playing audition to be held on Monday evening, April 10, 2023. The following will be required:
A solo Bach piece of your choice
Brahms Symphony No 2, mvt II mm 51-55
Mozart Symphony No 39, mvt IV beginning to letter B
The Mozart and Brahms are standard audition pieces found on orchestraexcerpts.com
About the Symphony
The Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra (BMSO) is comprised of 70 musicians who come from throughout a 100 mile radius. The Symphony presents about one concert per month from October through April, excluding December. These include five full orchestra concerts, a Holiday concert, and a pops concert. Additional musical activities include school educational concerts, a "Fourth of July Spectacular" on the State Capitol Mall, and other events. Members of the orchestra are paid on a per-service basis. The BMSO is governed by a volunteer board of directors and employs a full-time Music Director/Conductor, part-time Executive Director, and part-time Librarian and Personnel Manager.
The orchestra is highly regarded and receives funding from a variety of sources. The orchestra performs in the Belle Mehus City Auditorium (1913), a beautiful 850 seat European-style opera house, and enjoys widespread community support.
The cities of Bismarck and Mandan are located along the scenic Lewis and Clark Trail on the Missouri River. The area boasts outstanding public and private schools from elementary through university levels with excellent orchestra programs in the public schools. Bismarck has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation and was ranked number one in the arts among cities in North America with populations under 100,000 by the 1997 Places Rated Almanac.
For more information, please
: Mike Gardner, Executive Director, Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra.
Belle Mehus Auditorium
Meet the Conductor
Meet the Musicians
Board of Directors